3rd MARCH 2018
Inaugural Bhutan International Marathon and Half Marathon in one of the world’s most mysterious, beautiful and inaccessible countries. On your journey through stunning rural countryside and villages, before finishing at the historic Punakha Dzong, you’ll discover the geographical and cultural wonders of a country naturally designed to be a tantalizing destination for adventure and spiritual seekers.
All Meals, SUV Car, Mini Van or Bus with driver throughout your stay.
Experienced tour guide.
Price per person based on 3 to travel
*Book early to avoid disappointment as availability is limited
Costs for extra activities
Personal drinks & beverages
Additional hotel facilities like laundry, personal calls etc.
Connecting flight from SIN/BKK/SIN
- Day 1 Upon arrival, you will be greeted by your guide and prepare trekking to Taktsang Monastery (known as Tigers Nest). This is one of the most sacred and revered monasteries in the Kingdom and all Bhutanese Buddhists wish to make a pilgrimage trip to Taktsang at least once in their lifetime as they believe each step taken towards the monastery gains merit points towards their future. After lunch we will leave for Thimphu, with options to visit the Golden Buddha or relax at your hotel. Overnight stay in Thimphu.
- Day 2 After breakfast, you will proceed to Punakha Valley. Ascending to Dochu La (pass) to view 108 Stupas, commissioned by a former Queen as a memorial to those who lost their lives during a low intensity conflict in late 2002 when Bhutan evicted Indian rebels camped in the jungle on the Bhutan – Indian border. On a clear day, you will witness a breathtaking view of the eastern Himalaya. Visit the dramatic Punakha Dzong, which formally served as the seat of government and is still, the winter residence of the Dratsheng (Central Monk Body). This is Bhutan’s most spectacular Dzong and an excellent example of how a medieval fortress and a centre of both monastic and adminstrative functions has adapted and evolved for modern day use. This afternoon there will be a briefing by the Marathon Organizer. Overnight in Punakha.
- Day 3 Today is the day of the Bhutan International Marathon. The itinerary will kick off very early to the starting point Gasa Dzongkhhag, finishing at the beautiful Punakha Dzong. Be sure to stay hydrated throughout. Overnight in Punakha.
- Day 4 After breakfast, we will go for Punakha Rafting and leave to Paro Valley after lunch. You can look forward to enjoying an orientation tour of the major features in Paro town including Paro Dzong with its cantilever bridge. In Paro, it is highly recommended to take a leisure stroll along the main street which offers not only excellent scenery but also, good shopping for jewellery and handicrafts. Alternatively, your guide can arrange a hike in the valley to suit your fitness & time frame. Overnight in Paro.
- Day 5 The trip has come to an end and it is time to bid goodbye to the country and its people. You will hop on the plane bright and early and depart back to your home country.